issey-miyake” data-ylk=”slk:Issey Miyake” class=”link “>Issey Miyake died at the age of 84. According to a statement released by the Issey Miyake Group, the designer died of liver cancer in a Tokyo hospital on August 5. The statement also added that Miyake died while “surrounded by close friends and associates.” Miyake was suffering from hepatocellular carcinoma, a specific type of liver disease.
The statement continued, “Never one to embrace trends, Miyake’s dynamic spirit was driven by a relentless curiosity and desire to convey joy through the medium of design. Always a pioneer, Miyake both embraced traditional handcrafts but also looked to the next solution: the newest technology driven by research and development. He never once stepped back from his love, the process of making things. He continued to work with his teams, creating new designs and supervising all collections under the various Issey Miyake labels. His spirit of joy, empowerment and beauty will be carried on by the next generations.”
The designer founded his namesake label back in the ’70s, with his first-ever collection showcased in New York in 1971. Miyake then went on to showcase at Paris Fashion Week in 1973, making him one of the first Japanese designers to do so. Since the label’s inception, Miyake has become known for its signature pleating and traditional folding techniques alongside his innovative use of technology and fluidity within his garments.
As per the designer’s wishes, no funeral or memorial service will be held.
- 4 Emerging Designers People Couldn't Stop Talking About at Copenhagen Fashion Week SS23
- Fashion Designer Jude Connally Zimmerman to Headline 2022 Bolo Bash
- 'Let Me Be Me': Drexel University grad and fashion designer's journey with autism becomes film | Meet Kyle Westphal
- Issey Miyake, legendary Japanese fashion designer, dies at 84
- Japanese fashion designer Issey Miyake dead at 84